Tuesday, December 14, 2010

You call yourself a Christian?

Warning: this is a rant. I have something on my heart, and I need to share it.

Do you call yourself a Christian? Do you? Well, what does Christian mean? Little Christ. So, with Christian meaning, "little Christ", what does this entail? Well, I believe this means that we should act like Christ. No, we will never be like Christ, but our goal and aim in life should be to strive to be like Christ. Need an example? I have one. Let's say you have a friend, a best friend, and then something happens in that friendship. Why? Well, because you realized that you were not putting Christ first, and so, you made a change to put Christ at the center of your life and want to strive to be more like Him. Awesome! But, here is the kicker... that best friend, whose life may not have had that big change like yours did, who may have struggles with things that you are no longer associated with...what do you do with that best friend? Well, as I have seen, you run away from that friend. You get up on your high horse, and ride away. Now, tell me, do you still call yourself a Christian? I mean, being like Christ and all, do you think he would have turned away from that friend who was struggling? ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is your time to sow the seed of Jesus and His love into that friend. To continue to love on and be there for that friend. The WORST thing you could do is to turn your back on that friend. Hypocrite. Maybe you are tempted with the things that friend does that you no longer want to be a part of...well, there are many ways you can still love on that friend, but if you turn your back on that friend and do not share the love of Christ with that friend, so in turn maybe that friend will find his way back to the Lord, I am not sure why you call yourself Christian. Another example, would be adults, who see that there is a young person who is not on track with the Lord...instead of trying to invest and nurture this young person, they totally turn their back on that person and are not doing what we have been commanded to do...LOVE. Love our neighbor as ourselves. To train those the way in which they should go. Come on now...is this you? Are you someone who calls yourself a Christian, but when it comes to a friend or a younger person who is not on track with the Lord, you find it easier to ignore them?
If you are reading this, and a friend, or young person, or just anyone comes to mind that you know you have not been showing the love of Christ to, I suggest you do something about it. If you are reading this and no one comes to mind, you probably are in denial because I am sure there is one person you can think of.
Lord, help me to be more like you in the area of reaching out and loving others. Even if I have been hurt, or it is just easier to ignore a situation, help me to put my feelings aside and show Your love.

No comments: